[clue-tech] Re: CLUE jabber server?

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu Dec 15 12:56:33 MST 2005

Greg Knaddison wrote:

>On 12/14/05, Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:
>

>>Greg Knaddison wrote:
>>

>>>Anyone else on a jabber network, if it's all set up hunky-dorily.  You
>>>can use it to IM with google talk folks, jabber.org folks, etc.
>>>

>>I thought the whole point of setting up your own jabber server was so
>>that it was a PRIVATE IM system...
>>

>right...I misspoke.  Depending on how it's configured you can talk
>either only to other people on that server or also to other people who
>are participating in jabber's peer network (like jabber.org, google
>talk, etc.).
>
>Personally, I don't see much benefit to a "PRIVATE" IM system.  Are
>you looking for privacy (like, nobody can read the message)? Then why
>not use something like gaim-encryption so that the messages are
>_really_ private and not just "as private as all the routers and
>firewalls and servers in between keep them".  If you want to restrict
>the people in the pool that you are sending/receiving IMs with, that's
>the buddy list and the "only allow IMs from people on my buddy list"
>option.
>
>Other than those two items, what does a "PRIVATE" IM server get you?

Well, I think for companies there is the benefit that they can allow IM
for their internal communications but restrict their workers from
chatting online all day.  I guess that was the one thing I thought it
would be useful for.  Also, sort of along the lines of why it's nice to
have your own private mail server.  I mean google and yahoo will
probably go down less than your own mail server, but at least you have
control over it.