[clue-tech] CLUE jabber server?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 10:03:25 MST 2005

On 12-16 20:27, Jeff Cann wrote:
> On Thursday 15 December 2005 4:58 pm, John Fiala wrote:
> > On 12/15/05, Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at comcast.net> wrote:
> > > In any case, I still find myself annoyed that they are proprietary
> > > networks after all these years despite IETF and Jabber's efforts. Imagine
> > > if email and the web worked like IM does. Maybe it just takes a while
> > > since email had a rocky start too.
> >
> > I seem to remember when a lot of the email was proprietary, either
> > AOL, Prodigy, Compuserve... and eventually market pressure resulted in
> > them being opened up to general exchange of email.  Which seems to be
> > the way that IM is going, last I looked.
>
> This is exactly what happened.  Peter Saint-Andre discussed it the other night
> at the Jabber session.  He thinks that once enough people demand open IM, the
> commercial providers (like AOL, Yahoo, MSN, etc.) will cave to pressure.
> Like email, this may take several years.

I guess that's why I mentioned being annoyed - it has been several years. If
we use ICQ's release as the start, it's been just over nine. What happened
to "Internet time"? ;)

Well, here's to those that are still fighting the good fight. Like Dennis
mentioned, maybe Google will be able to force the issue since they seem to
be in the limelight right now, and Jabber has been doing good work for many
years now.

It seems to be a pattern everywhere: telephones, email, now IM and cable
devices are going through the same struggles.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
Greasemonkey Amazon scripts for Colorado libraries:
http://userscripts.org/people/2388
I think it's about time we voted for senators with breasts. After all, we've
been voting for boobs long enough.
-Claire Sargent