[clue-tech] CLUE jabber server?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Dec 17 11:25:08 MST 2005

Jeff Cann wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 December 2005 9:54 pm, David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
>> But I don't see any point to fooling with new technology if it doesn't
>> provide some clear benefit.
>
> Hey Dave,
>
> Certainly don't try IM before you make up your mind ;)

Welcome to my life.  But really--someone has to make up their mind to
install the server before anyone can try it.  By "fooling with new
technology" I'm speaking more of the time and effort to set up the
server than my time to set up a client.

Most places I've been, I'm the one to set up services like this.  And
whether I thought it was a good idea or someone else did, they rarely
get much use.  I guess most people I know are late adopters.

But really, my point in posting was to try to get people to explain why
IM is useful to them so I could understand not only something I don't
use but people who work differently than I do.  I'm pleased with how
well this thread has done that.

[...]
> Let's not forget the original 'talk' application in UNIX - the first IM
> client, IMHO (although only local to a box).  Surely you've never used it to
> ping another admin who's not near a phone or on email...

Sure, but only when one or both of us was dialed in and couldn't use our
phones.  I'd be happy to use it still but technology has passed it by.