[clue-tech] CLUE jabber server?

Dave Gray yargevad at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 11:23:28 MST 2005

On 12/17/05, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
> [...]
> > So can anyone give me a specific, detailed example of how IM (or IRC)
> > make your lives better?  Or is it just a "my friends use it so that's
> > the easy way to reach them" thing (s/friends/co-workers/).
>
> Thanks to everyone who answered.  I appreciate the insight you've given
> me.  I'm not sure there's anyone on IM that I care to message, but I
> might try it anyway (live dangerous, that's what I always say ;-)

I find IM useful (in the same way as email, but more immediate) when
having technical conversations with co-workers and clients because
copy and paste is available and it integrates pretty tightly with your
browser of choice (i.e. clicking on a link in gaim opens that url in a
new tab in mozilla).

Many clients also greatly appreciate the live support that IM enables.
I've found that if you're willing to make yourself available in that
way, it can be the difference between losing a client over a screwup
and gaining their trust because of your quick response to a problem.

> Does CLUE need to set this up though?  There seem to be many servers
> already available[0].  Why not just use one of those?

Not that this is entirely relevant, but my web host provides a free
jabber server that users can set up. I don't use it. We use Jabber
internally at work and it works fine.
<https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/?area=2661>

Cheers,