[clue-tech] RealPlayer doesn't play

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Feb 1 09:00:46 MST 2005

Match Grun wrote:

>>Well, I thought I'd listen to some Web radio. I click on the link
>>[http://foo/bar.ram], and RealPlayer comes up ... does its buffering
>>thing, then starts playing, or so it claims--but no sound comes out.
>>Similar results with several sites, both with *.ram and *.smil URLs.
>>
>>Now if, instead of clicking on the link, I try File -> Open Location
>>in an already running Player (using an rtsp:// URL), I get the
>>following error:
>>
>>   Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be using it.
>>
>>No, there are no other audio applications running.

> There may be some audio daemons using the audio. Maybe you have esd
> running? Have you tried restarting X, running RealPlayer first instead
> of xmms. This might indicate that xmms stole the device!

ESD?! You really think *I* would allow bloatware like that on my system?

Seriously, though, I checked, and ESD is installed but not running--at
least, 'ps aux |grep esd' doesn't show it, and there is nothing in my
init scripts that would make it run. AFAIK the only audio daemon I use
is JACK, and that runs only when I run it directly.

I also tried restarting X, etc., but there was no change.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA