[clue-tech] fsck and badblocks

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Thu Feb 10 11:28:19 MST 2005

On Thursday 10 February 2005 11:41 am, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:28:03 -0500
>
> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> > I was reading the man page for badblocks and it says to use it by using
> > the -c option with fsck.  Does this mean that fsck doesn't check for bad
> > blocks automatically?  How would you do a reboot/fsck with the -c
> > option?
>
> 1st question is what sort of disks you're using. Modern IDE drives manage
> bad blocks internally. There's no utility at all, AFAIK, to having the OS
> try to do so.
>
> jed

They're supposed to,  yeah.  I have had more than once experienced "bad
sectors" which resulted from either a power glitch or some really errant
software (Norton Utilities under DOS was great for this),  and which could be
"fixed" by the use of the manufacturer's utiliity to make that mapping
happen.

Got a pile of drives here to test,  any of you guys have recommendations?  Or
should I just try and build a filesystem on them with the badblock testing
enabled?