[clue-tech] Swapped memory with 1GB of RAM?

Dan Harris dan at drivefaster.net
Thu Feb 10 12:09:58 MST 2005

On Feb 9, 2005, at 5:26 PM, Nate Duehr wrote:

> Alex Young wrote:
>
>> I've got a memory problem, and I'm stumped.

While I don't know the exact cause of your problem, here's what I would
do in your situation to cover the likely suspects:

Compile a vanilla kernel from the latest 2.4.x series.  One potential
subject as others have noted, is a kernel bug or bug in redhat-patch
that causes trouble in higher memory.  Although, I'd only expect that
at the 2GB mark, since I believe that's the BIGMEM threshold.

I'm surprised nobody else mentioned it yet, but there were some rather
high-profile exploits in the early 2.4.2x series that *could* have
allowed someone to compromise your system and installed a rootkit that
is eating up RAM without your knowledge.  You would be wise to keep
that kernel current anyway.

Have you run chkrootkit on it?

-Dan