[clue-tech] Linux on a Dell PowerEdge 2300?

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 12 11:45:55 MST 2005

--- Nate Duehr wrote:
> RedHat doesn't really "exist" anymore for personal uses... do you mean
> Fedora?  If you're going to stay with a RedHat derivitive, I think
> you'll want at least Fedora Core 3.

I was using the terms RedHat and Fedora synonumously.  If distinction is important, then yes, I
meant Fedora.  :)

> There's a couple of options here, but I'm going to assume you're looking
> to use Dell's proprietary PercRAID hardware if the machine has it.  If
> it does, useful information may include what the BIOS says the version
> number of the PERC controller is.

I believe this machine has the hardware hot-swappable RAID controller.  When I compare it to the
"Installation and Troubleshooting Guide" that came with it, there are many indicators that this
option was installed:  6 drive configuration, no locking bar across all the drive faces, and the
drive status indicator lights function.  The PERC Configuration program (hardware, available on
boot via <Ctrl+M>) version is (which I assume is sadly outdated if there were 4 major versions):
2.38 Feb 24, 1999 Standard

> You'll do fine... the usual advice... listen for a few more folk's
> dive right in... if you get stuck, we're here to help!  ;-)
>
> C'mon in... the water's fine.  Those older Dell towers were built pretty
> well, and work well too.  I haven't worked with any of their newer
> hardware lately, but that stuff was pretty solid once you figured out a
> plan to get any needed oddball drivers for their proprietary RAID
> controllers loaded.

Sounds great!  Thanks for the immediate feedback.  I will keep the list updated as progress is
made.  At present, I'm waiting for monday to place a call into Dell Sales to try to replace a
missing hot-swappable drive bay thingamajig (what IS the proper name for this?) and I'm waiting
for delivery of 10 seagate SCSI drives (oddly, when I tried to buy just 2, I landed a lot of 10,
instead for less than $200 on eBay).

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)