[clue-tech] Linux on a Dell PowerEdge 2300?

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 12:27:23 MST 2005

--- David Anselmi wrote:
> If you've got the PERC configurator you've got hardware RAID.  So you
> configure it via PERC.  Dell may have a BIOS update for it that might be
> useful to you (but make sure you know how to get it installed--they have
> a program for that too).

Done and done.  I have now updated all the firmwares that I could find updates for: System BIOS,
Server Management, Backplane, and the RAID Controller -- but not the Adaptec AIC devices; couldn't
find any updates for them.

> Linux should see the RAID as one or more disks (depending how you
> configure the RAID) and so it should work even without a special driver.
>   You may need a driver for Linux to talk to the RAID controller or
> monitor status and whatnot, but you can probably do all of that from
> PERC too (except that you have to reboot to get to it).

Out of curiosity, I yanked the failed drive and set up a RAID 5 array using the 4 remaining
drives.  I then burned copies of the very latest Fedora Core 3 distribution and gave it a whirl.
Big problem:  The installer cannot find the HDDs.  I hunted around with Google and found some
horrible news:  The particular driver that used to support the RAID controller on this box no
longer does so due to manufacturer disinterest.  Am I S.O.L. with Fedora?

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)