[clue-tech] Linux on a Dell PowerEdge 2300?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 09:13:33 MST 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:42:10 -0700, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Re: Centos/WhiteBox/Tao/etc.
>
> Just curious. Do any of these offerings have a 2.6 kernel path, or are
> they all firmly planted in the 2.4 past like so many distros?
>
> --
>  Collins

They all do their best to mirror RHEL products.  So, if you use
"CentOS3" or "WBEL3" you will get a 2.4 kernel.  If you can wait a
week or two for the RHEL4 rebuilds to complete and get a little bit of
testing, then they will contain a 2.6 kernel.

When I say "do their best to mirror RHEL" there is some difference
there.  CentOS makes some small tweaks to Mozilla to included an extra
root certificate and change the bookmarks.  I don't like that...but
I'm not upset enough to start my own rebuild project.  All of them
have to remove the redhat artwork, as detailed in the faq on the
WhiteBox page.

Of course, the 2.4 kernel that RedHat uses is hardly "the 2.4 kernel"
most people think of.   RedHat ports many fixes back, so when you see
a version number in a package provided by RedHat, you really should
look closely at it because the RedHat2.4 kernel is fairly similar to
the "new" 2.6 kernel.

Greg