[clue-tech] GRUB woes -- fixed (and a short message)

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 21:24:58 MST 2005

--- David Anselmi wrote:
> If you don't appreciate my sense of humor, forgive me on account that I
> actually read all the useless stuff you wrote (well, I read the useful
> stuff too). ;-)

I actually got a good laugh at your "Hi-ho, Hi-ho" joke.  I just kept my reaction off the list; I
didn't mean for you to think I was unappreciative.

> It would make sense without the typo.  You mean HDD3 is the secondary
> master of course.

Funny thing about mailing lists; you can't fix your typos before everyone else picks up on them.
:)  [I had noticed the mistake after I received a copy of my own post, but I didn't want to burden
the list with a correction since I felt the correct statement was obvious, as you pointed out.]

... snipping to get to the point of this post ...

It turns out the problem was with the BIOS.  I dunno how it happened, but the BIOS had fully
reversed the "boot priority" of the drives.  On this HP system, that made a big difference with
how the drives were being reported to the remainder of the system.  It fooled MS fdisk, and really
did give GRUB a headache.  Once I corrected the priority order, everything started working.  Chalk
this one up for "wierd, crazy HP".  :)

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)