[clue-tech] HELP!! Someone has hijacked my mailserver for spam

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 09:06:51 MST 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:08:16 -0700, Mike <lister-clue at gantsfort.com> wrote:

> This is what I thought. It looks like my only recourse is disabling this
> particular email address, which is okay since I'm running my own mail
> server. It still makes me angry, though. This can be likened to a form
> of identity theft. Thanks.

On email accounts I care about (not this one, at least not yet) I use
Thunderbird/Enigmail and digitally sign the email.

If you do this consistently, then when someone gets an email from
"you" that isn't digitally signed they will hopefully pause for a
minute before saying "Why did Mike just spam me?"  "Why is mike
sending me pictures of <whomever> naked in an executable file?"  and
then they hopefully don't open it.

That's a lot of hopefullys...but it's all we got.

Greg