[clue-tech] proxy to log chat

Chris Schock black at clapthreetimes.com
Thu Feb 24 11:09:15 MST 2005

IM's can be difficult to block. Usually it boils down to a few technical

1. Blocking the IM servers (but may block legit stuff)
2. Running some kind of software inventory tool that detects and later
strips the clients off the PC
3. Clobbering detected IM connections by sending faked TCP RST's or
something similar to source and destination

Simply blocking ports doesn't always work because several clients can
negotiate the port they use. When that happens option 3 works well, but
the drawback to that is that the clients continuously try to reconnect so
you always have this chatter going on. By the way, Snort does this as
well.

Really though I think the tech community is trying to implement a
technical solution to a social problem. The first thing that should happen
is the company should develop a policy why IM's are bad - time wasting and
security. Then they should communicate this to employees so they
understand why this policy is in place. Lastly employees need to be liable
for what is on their PC. If they get caught with IM, it should be recorded
in their file.

Unless employees have some stake in the matter they'll continue to find
ways around it.