[clue-tech] Questions about CentOS/Fedora

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Feb 26 13:35:46 MST 2005

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>> The only time I've had issues
>> with testing upgrades is with large apps (KDE) that roll into testing
>> in pieces.  But I've learned to recognize that so I can wait a week or
>> two for the missing pieces to catch up.  (This doesn't happen
>> often--only shortly after a KDE release while the Debian packagers
>> upgrade it, and only if I happen to be upgrading at that time.)
>>
> Could that be happening only with KDE?  I use GNOME and I don't think
> I've ever encountered this problem.  The only time I ever had problems
> was trying to convert a testing system to an unstable system.

Yes, it can.  As I said, it doesn't usually.  A lot depends on how the
packages depend/conflict and how apt handles that.  It can also happen
(perhaps more severely because things break without apt noticing) when
things like libc are upgraded.  But paying attention to what's marked
for upgrade/hold/uninstall usually keeps you out of trouble.

Not something I'd expect from Collins' clients.  This situation may be
more likely in testing than in RPM distros, but isn't Debian specific.