[clue-tech] Question for sendmail folks regarding bitbucketing email to certain accounts

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Sun Feb 27 11:17:33 MST 2005

At 10:01 AM 2/27/2005, Michael Riversong wrote:
>I simply don't use the HTML Mailto: function any more in the pages i
>manage.  That cuts out a lot of spam, since the bots that spammers use
>to pick up email addresses over the Web don't usually pick up plain text
>addresses.
>
>Not a very elegant solution, but it helps.

info is a non existent address, so it wasn't on a page to be
spidered.  This was a spammer guessing at standard addresses. sales and a
few other generic guessed addresses probably bounced the same spam.

I have two spams I'm processing through spamcop right now. both went to
guessed addresses that don't exist. just as the OP said happened in his
case.  both came from china through a server that doesn't block china.

Splashback like this is getting to be a real problem and has to be
solved.  The other major splashback annoyance is from server level virus
detection software that sends alerts to the forged addresses that were on
the viral packages that they detected.

--
coriez at oriez.org 39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
"In /dev/null no one can hear you scream..."