[clue-tech] Question for sendmail folks regarding bitbucketing email to certain accounts

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Feb 27 20:54:04 MST 2005

Chris Schock wrote:
> I get a lot of spam sent to info at xxx.xxx domains for which I host. There
> is no corresponding user for that address, so my mailer tries to send out
> a failure notification.

Wow.  This is amazingly broken.  Why on earth does your MTA accept mail
to a non-existent user and then try to send a bounce?  The correct
behavior is to reject the message at SMTP time (a 550 error IIRC).  Then
it's the sending MTA's job to handle the non-delivery.

That's how exim handles it (default Debian config) and I don't have your
problem.

Do you have the O'Reilly bat book?