[clue-tech] Linux desktop search

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Wed Jan 5 08:04:36 MST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 06:46:58AM -0700, Collins Richey wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 22:13:15 -0700, Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > $ find . -exec grep 'string to find' {} \; -print
> > </snip>
>
> Always a fan of simplicity, what does the find expression give you
> that this does not?
>
>      grep -R 'string to find' *

The difference would be that the grep invokation would not find a
target file if it were in a 'hidden' directory of the invokation
directory.  The '*' would be expanded by shell and miss it.

  grep -R 'string to find' .

would, AFAICT, produce the same results as Jeff's find.

Sorry, it was a really nit-picky thing.  But then nit-picky is what I do
best :^)

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard

Before you critize someone, run a mile in their shoes. When you do
critize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.