[clue-tech] Best practice network design?

Chris Schock black at clapthreetimes.com
Thu Jan 6 07:41:05 MST 2005

> It doesn't surprise me that Windows doesn't have a secure method of
> distributing authentication.
>
> However, I came across this website/doc:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?FamilyID=c2ef3846-43f0-4caf-9767-a9166368434e&displaylang=en
>
> A quick look at the doc seems to indicate that there are a few
> categories for authentication (ie: User Login and Authentication,
> Computer Login and Authentication, Establishing an Explicit Trust
> Between Domains, etc.) with differing port requirements for each.
>
> Out of curiousity, which category applies to what you are attempting?
> I hopefully will never have to manage a Windows network, but just in
> case, it wouldn't hurt to know (plus, it's good information to have as
> an argument against Windows)

Thanks so much for the link! This is exactly what I'm looking for and will
be going over it today.

The categories applying in my situation will either be user login and
authentication or establishing an explicit trust. The first option would
be easier than the last, but I also think it's far less secure.