[clue-tech] Embedded Content on a Web Page

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Jan 6 16:43:13 MST 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 04:04:02PM -0700, Matt Gushee wrote the following:
> I hope that doesn't sound like I'm trolling. True, I tend to be
> anti-SOAP in general, but I'm still interested to know if someone is
> doing something with SOAP that is actually cool, which I hope is the
> case with your work.

At RLXTechnologies (which just laid me off right before xmas,
unfortunately) we were using SOAP for communication between a master
server and remote blade servers for provisioining/imaging.  The master
server PXE booted the blades into a Linux environment that then
initiated soap communications back to the master server.  A small web
server ran under the PXE booted Linux to do some of the SOAP stuff, I
believe.

In this respect, SOAP was kinda cool because you could use existing
protocols and tools to implement the SOAP communications.  But there are
lots of ways to get this kind of thing working.  SOAP was one of many.
They used it, I believe, to make use of existing object classes on the
server side that got passed to the client side and to do a form of RPC.

I didn't design or implement it but had to debug it a few times and was
about to take over the PXE boot environment when they folded.
--
Michael J. Hammel - mjhammel at graphics-muse.org - XEUS: www.ximba.org