[clue-tech] Critical BIND issues behind firewall

Chris Schock black at clapthreetimes.com
Mon Jan 17 14:33:28 MST 2005

> Hey Chris, can you expand on this?
>
> I never kept up on views after I left the job where I had to do DNS
> day-in day-out.  (Heck, I avoid DNS as much as possible now... heh.)
>
> How do you set up the zone files for the different views?

Views allow you to present different configurations to different clients.
Here's my internal view config:

view "internal" {

        match-clients { 192.168.0.0/24; };

        zone "adomain.com" IN {
                type master;
                notify yes;
                file "internal.db.adomain.com";
};

My zone file "internal.db.adomain.com" contains all the private internal
addresses of my name servers and hosts.

And then for your external you do another zone file for the domain, only
it has the public IP addresses in it.

All the views are doing is serving up different configs based on the IP
address of what's querying.

I highly recommend the O'Reilly DNS and BIND book, which is what I used
when I set up my DNS.