[clue-tech] Filesystem quotas circumvented

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Wed Jan 19 13:07:07 MST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:42:52AM -0500, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Keith Hellman wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > Does the operation
> >   [angelo]$ su fred -c "yes" > ~/angelos_home_file
> > follow fred's quota restrictions, angelo's quota restrictions, or no
> > quota restrictions.
> >

> I just tested this and it follows angelo's quota restrictions
> precisely.  I tried making the other user with a quota above and tried
> with a quota below angelo's quota.  They both ended with:
>
> Disk quotas for user angelo (uid 635):
>     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit
>      /dev/hda2  150000* 100000  150000
>
> And... I think you and Dave are right about this:  the rooted process
> overrides restrictions put on it by other processes.  (I presume the
> system sends some kind of kill signal to the process, which the rooted
> process can ignore.)

Thanks for the input.  It appears that write() returns EDQUOT (an error
response) when quotas are surpassed.  I didn't see anything about quota
sending signals.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard

"Television is for appearing on -- not for looking at."

-- Noel Coward