[clue-tech] Broke Apache by upgrading PCRE

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 8 07:34:06 MDT 2005

CLUEbies,

I've managed to break Apache httpd by upgrading PCRE on one of my boxes, and I wonder if any of
you have seen this or can offer insight to get these two programs to play nice together?

Configuration:
==============
CentOS 4 (RHEL 4)
most packages installed via the initial OS GUI installer
those packages maintained (upgrades, new installs) with yum
other packages (not on the yum repositories) compiled and installed locally from source

httpd was updated with yum and was working fine until the PCRE upgrade.
PCRE was upgraded from source (ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/) to the
latest version.

Error message when executing "service httpd start" (as root):
Starting httpd: /usr/sbin/httpd: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libpcreposix.so.0: undefined
symbol: pcre_compile2     [FAILED]

Compilation method for installing the new PCRE:
[This snippet is from a much larger document I'm writing as an in-house HowTo document for
installing a CentOS4 box as a webmail server -- most other documentation seems to be outdated,
incomplete, or just "doesn't fit".]

17.	Install PCRE
17.1.	become [some normal user] (either “su [some normal user]” or “exit” if you’re already
nesting su levels and your normal user account is the parent of your current session)
17.2.	untar (i.e.:  tar zxf filename) pcre
17.3.	execute:  cd [wherever you just untarred the source]
17.4.	execute:  ./configure --enable-utf8 --enable-unicode-properties --prefix=/usr/lib/pcre
--exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
--datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc/pcre --localstatedir=/var/pcre --mandir=/usr/share/man
--with-piddir=/var/run
17.5.	execute:  make
17.6.	execute:  make test (resolve errors, if produced)
17.7.	become root (either “su root” or “exit” if you’re already nesting su levels and root is the
parent of your current session)
17.8.	execute:  make install

PCRE installed fine and all tests were successful.  I've Googled for the "undefined symbol
pcre_compile2" error and found nothing helpful (I'm already installing PCRE with utf8 and unicode
enabled).

Any thoughts?

William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)