[clue-tech] Broke Apache by upgrading PCRE

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat Jul 9 23:57:31 MDT 2005

William wrote:

>>Did you remember to run 'ldconfig' after you installed PCRE?
>
> I don't know what ldconfig is, but at your recommendation, I'm running it after "make install" as
> just "ldconfig", now.

Oh, okay. Well, you should definitely know about that command if you're
going to be building shared libraries from source. I'll let you refer to
the manual page for a concise and reasonably clear explanation of what
it does.

If you only ever install software with a package manager, you don't
really need to know about ldconfig, because the package manager runs it
for you. You might wonder why developers don't make 'make install' run
ldconfig, too; if I'm not mistaken, ldconfig is linux-specific, so that
would make the Makefile non-portable.

> I believe I've seen this recommended elsewhere, so no big deal to add this
> step.  If I need to add some values to the ldconfig command, I don't know what they'd be because
> none of the README/INSTALL files of any programs I install make any mention of it.

Usually just plain 'ldconfig'[*] is fine. As for why it's not documented
as part of the installation process, I suppose ...

   1) programs don't require it, only shared libraries;

   2) it's platform-specific; and

   3) maybe developers think it's too obvious to mention (though I've
      certainly forgotten to do it many times)

[*] Or rather, '/sbin/ldconfig' if you are being properly paranoid about
     running commands as root.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA