[clue-tech] Sun Sparc Classic SCSI Hardrive

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 23:43:30 MDT 2005

--- mikeb <mikeb at wispertel.net> wrote:

> Gus,  That  would fit the  bill  I  am  just testing
>  and  getting up
> to speed  with  solaris  again.   It has been  a few
>  years worked in
> this environment.
> Thanks  again
>
> > I think I have a 10G   what size do you want ?
> >

> > On Jul 10, 2005, at 12:32 PM, mikeb wrote:
> >
> > I am insearch of an Harddisk to get my "old" Sparc
> Classic up and
> > running again. Does anyone out there have a disk
> that will meet my
> > needs. Or a place that I can find one cheap?
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mike Benavides

Hmm... Just get a SCSI drive that has the right pin
connection ... even if you put an ultra3 on on an
ultra2 chain it "should" run but only at the ultra2
throughput. IE all SCSI devices on a chain will run at
the lowest throughput. Physically I think spin speeds
will not vary.

A bigger concern that got me pulling hair out is that
Solaris 10 x86 seems to have removed drivers for
hardware RAID controllers perhaps in favor of their
SVM
(Not to be confused with the features of linux
LVM)....
Software RAID. EG my Compaq Smart2 controllers have no
support under Solaris 10 x86 --> Enterprise RHEAS4.

Software RAID exclusively is a strange solution anyway
for disk performance tuning. It is a topic in itself.
I kinda wonder whether LVM on linux is an extra
implementation of software RAID on top of hardware
RAID as I assume from reading sun docs about their
implementation. I just want nice filesystem growning.
But sun seems to do it by striping ontop of striping
whatever that means. I admit ignorance. I do see
foolishness that seems to have propogated from the
beginning of the UFS.... Overhead in UFS slicing....

Is there another filesystem that can be used at
install time with solaris ?

I must be missing something :)

Not to mention btw that the latest Oracle 10G suite
seems to be more available on the linux platforms
anyway....

-Mike