[clue-tech] Partition madness

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Jul 25 09:06:30 MDT 2005

Jim Ockers wrote:

>Hi Angelo,
>

>>Maybe someone can tell me what's going on here.  On my hard drive I have:
>>
>>Linux /boot
>>NTFS
>>extended:
>>    FAT32
>>    Linux /
>>    Linux swap
>>    Linux /home
>>

>Unfortunately this isn't helpful to tell what your partitioning
>scheme is.  Please try this (here's an example from my system)
>as root:

Yes, I'm an idiot.  I knew I should have just cut and pasted that.  It
pretty much looks like what I wrote above,  except I'm not sure which
type of Extended it is.  I'll get the fdisk output.  Right now I can
give you this much:
/dev/hda1 Linux
/dev/hda2 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda4 Extended (which type?)
/dev/hda5 Win95 FAT32
/dev/hda6 Linux
/dev/hda7 Linux swap
/dev/hda8 Linux

>The type of filesystem on the partition is irrelevant to
>the actual partition map.  Your reference to "the FAT32 par-
>tition" doesn't say anything about that partition other
>than that it has a FAT32 filesystem on it.  Unfortunately
>that's not how the Linux kernel and filesystem utilities
>generally identify partitions.

This is confusing to me.  Supposedly there is some kind of identifier at
the beginning of the partition for the "type" of partition e.g. 83 for
Linux.  That probably doesn't do anything more than provide information
about what is "supposed" to be there ??

>Once you see the fdisk partition list you will be a lot
>closer to understanding which partition you actually
>wanted to delete

I tried deleting the partition using fdisk /dev/hda, and I got the same
result:  Linux would not boot.  Booting back into windows, and
reformatting/recreating the logical drive fixes Linux.  So somehow I
figure /dev/hda6 depends on /dev/hda5 to be there.  Is there some sort
of caveat about not putting / in an extended partition?

I'll be able to get the fdisk output after I go home.