[clue-tech] Partition madness

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Jul 25 09:34:23 MDT 2005

Keith Hellman wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:06:30AM -0400, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>

>>I tried deleting the partition using fdisk /dev/hda, and I got the same
>>result:  Linux would not boot.  Booting back into windows, and
>>

>Can you be more specific?  In what way does it not boot?
>- does it present a lilo/grub boot menu?
>- can lilo/grub find the kernel image?
>- does the kernel fail to find /dev/hda1 as a root filesystem?
>- does the kernel boot through to /sbin/init and then fail to find the
>  logicial partitions?

It finds grub, and /boot, and loads the kernel from boot.  Then when it
goes to mount /dev/hda6 (the root partition) it says something about not
being able to find the ext3 filesystem.  Then it complains about not
being able to find the driver to mount the NTFS partition, then
something about not being able to mount the FAT partition (which should
be gone now), then a finale of a Kernel panic.

So I'm starting to think, is the answer that I need to reinstall grub
when I remove the partition?

Angelo