[clue-tech] Partition madness

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 19:18:21 MDT 2005

On 7/25/05, Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:

> Great!  That's the missing piece that I didn't understand:  "grub tells
> the kernel that root is *HERE*"  You know I always wondered how that
> worked since fstab happens to be on the partition that hasn't been
> mounted  yet.

fstab is only referenced once the kernel is loaded. Grub points to the
partition where the kernel can be found, and the kernel boot statement
tells the kernel where the root partition is. In your case the root
partition is a logical partition in the extended partition, and you
have screwed up how the logical partitions are numbered. You need to
recreate a logical partition with the same number as before in order
to boot.

> On a side note, is it still a good idea to have a boot partition at the
> beginning fo the disk?

It's a good idea to have a boot partition at the start of the disk if
you have only one disk and you like to screw around with the remaining
partitions.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write