[clue-tech] Partition madness

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Jul 25 21:09:21 MDT 2005

Hi Angelo,

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> Collins Richey wrote:
>
> > fstab is only referenced once the kernel is loaded. Grub points to the
> >
> >partition where the kernel can be found, and the kernel boot statement
> >tells the kernel where the root partition is. In your case the root
> >partition is a logical partition in the extended partition, and you
> >have screwed up how the logical partitions are numbered. You need to
> >recreate a logical partition with the same number as before in order
> >to boot.
> >

> What happens if you put /etc on a different partition from / ?  Does

Don't do that.  You're right, it would cause a problem.  You will almost
never see /etc on a different partition from / .  The only time I can
think of that this would work OK is if you have an /etc on the
/ but it contains a fstab which indicates a different partition is to
be overmounted on /etc at a later time.

> this mean the boot loader also needs to tell the kernel where /etc is so
> it knows what other partitions can be mounted?

Just don't do it.  :)

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/