[clue-tech] routing question [symptoms in postfix smtpd ]

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 21:57:54 MDT 2005

On Thursday 28 July 2005 6:13 am, Jim Ockers wrote:
> Could you please re-try your telnet command-line mail sending but
> try just HELO as the first command, no arguments.  Maybe that will
> make your postfix return "501 Syntax: HELO hostname" .

Jim,

Our application code uses javax.mail.* classes from the JDK to turn on
logging.  So instead, I turned on verbose flag for smtpd in the postfix
master.cf.  You are right on the money, the java program is not sending the
hostname:

  Jul 28 17:20:34 cberry postfix/smtpd[27002]: < bluespark[192.168.0.5]: EHLO

It turns out that the production box didn't have a hostname set.  We must have
only setup items in /etc/hosts and never ran the hostname command.  The java
TCP implementation must compare the hostname in the system properties (set by
the program) with the result of the system call to get the system's hostname.
Since this comparison was bluespark = '', it decides not to set it on the
EHLO line.

Once I set the hostname, all was well.  Thanks for pointing me in the right
direction.  I was fixated on the postfix configuration and the information
in /etc/hosts.  It didn't occur to me to do a hostname -f  :)

Jeff
--
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
        - Albert Einstein