[clue-tech] Presentation on Ubunto/Debian?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jun 1 20:57:32 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 20:00 -0600, Keith Hellman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 07:35:42PM -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
> > <rant>
> > It probably makes sense for a server setup, but I've never understood
> > why installs of a package don't include everything. I'm probably
> > spoiled by long years on Gentoo, where that's exactly how it works.
> > </rant>

> In debian, it is 'apt-get build-dep'.  Then 'apt-get source' pulls the
> specified package source (the one you just ran build-dep for).  This is
> one of the BIG reasons I switched from SuSE (rpm based) to debian and
> haven't looked back since.

> PS:  It may appear that my critique is not fair against RPM systems
> because if I tried building some new tarball'd package on debian I
> would have to (still) figure out which debian development packages I
> needed to install for the header files.  BUT, for each of these I would
> be able to run 'apt-get build-dep' and pull the dependencies for a
> particular 'first tier' package in one fell swoop. (Not that I have to
> build stuff often for debian.)

Hi Keith,

In the time that you've been away from RPM-based distros, that gap has
been filled.  For instance, the last two Fedora Core versions (2 & 3)
shipped with a tool called "yum" thats basically an apt clone for RPM
package repositories.  So one can run:

  yum install somepackage-devel

and auto-magically have all the package dependencies satisfied and all
the necessary RPMs located, downloaded, and installed.

So, welcome to 2005.  ;-)

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD