[clue-tech] text mode calendar application recommendation

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jun 3 17:24:23 MDT 2005

Greg Knaddison wrote:
> On 6/2/05, David Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
>
>>>I want something that will keep track of the
>>>appointments/activities/birthdays that happen on different days.
>>
>>What's wrong with gcal?
>>
>>gcal "features a very powerful creation of fixed date lists that can be
>>used for reminding purposes." ;-)
>
> The only page I found about it was
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gcal/gcal.html which is _extremely_
> spartan to the point of being basically useless.

Well of course.  The "g" is for "gnu".  That means you have to read the
info page.  And when that doesn't help either, the source.  I swear, all
these GUIs and things are making Free Software users absolutely soft. ;-)

But yeah, look elsewhere.  gcal is text output, not curses, so you won't
like the output.  It's date lists (appointments) are text files (which
is a nice feature but you won't like it).  And the syntax for setting up
a date list is quite intimidating (there are times when the right
solution is a domain specific language (like regex) and the gcal folks
seem to think this is one).