[clue-tech] Software RAID

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Mon Jun 6 06:57:43 MDT 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:11:03PM -0600, Russell Glissmann wrote:
> drives into two identical sets (sda1: 100M, sda2: 500M, sda3:
> remainder size).  Then I create a raid device for each (md0: /boot,
> md1: swap, md3 /).  The install goes on its merry way using Grub as
> the boot manager.  On restart everything boots up just fine.  If I
Raid for swap?  I see how it is technically feasible but is there really
a reason to do this?  If this is s/w raid and you can't hotswap, isn't
the swap contents useless after a reboot?

I realize I'm not addressing your question.  I have never used s/w raid,
so I'm truly curious about raiding swap.

Is the swap partition just redundancy?  In this case reading a page back
into the kernel could be serviced from either drive, is the the reason
to raid swap?

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard

"Wit ought to be a glorius treat, like caviar.  Never spread it about like
marmalade."

-- Noel Coward