[clue-tech] Home Networking problems

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Wed Jun 8 16:41:10 MDT 2005

mike havlicek wrote:
> ... but if there is a wireless hub that
> might be cheaper than buying 2 more wireless cards...
> and chuck the wireless pci cards all together ...
>
> Hmm ...
>
> -Mike

I would recommend buying 2 Linksys WRT54G wifi routers and loading them
with the OpenWrt or Sveasoft distributions.  Both support encrypted
wireless ethernet bridging.  Alternatively, if you already have one wifi
router, I believe the latest Sveasoft distributions ($20 subscription)
are also capable of running a WRT54G in client-bridged mode with WEP or
WPA.  Either way would allow you to wirelessly extend your LAN but still
provide wired LAN connections at each end of the bridge.  Gets rid of
having to deal with PCI cards and wifi driver setups.
-Ken