[clue-tech] Lnking Firefox and Thunderbird under XFCE 4.2 and FC3

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Tue Jun 21 10:54:46 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 10:47 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> bof> Hello, I'm running XFCE 4.2 under FC3, Firefox 1.04 and
> bof> Thunderbird 1.0.2. There is also installed, by FC3, Mozilla
> bof> 1.7.7.
>
> bof> How do I get Firefox and Thunderbird to link with each other, so
> bof> that when I click on a URL in Thunderbird, it opens in Firefox,
> bof> and when I click on send page/link in Firefox, it opens
> bof> Thunderbird?
>
> bof> Currently, both open Mozilla 1.7.7, which, in the crippled
> bof> version used by FC3, does not have a mail client, and I do not
> bof> know where or how to change this default.
>
> Despite the fact that you are using Xfce, firefox and thunderbird use
> the gnome gconf setup to find settings like that.
>
> Install the 'gconf-editor' package.
> run 'gconf-editor'
> Select 'find' and type 'http'
> Look at the first two settings there...
>
> desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http
> desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https
>
> click on those and change the command to what you like and save.

And, just for list posterity, if you, like me, want links from evolution
or other mail clients to open in a new tab rather than window make a
script called moznewtab:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/firefox -remote "openURL($@, new-tab)" || exec /usr/bin/firefox
"$@";

Then refer all the http/https handlers to that script.

Matt

--
The mayfly lives only one day, and sometimes it rains. - Geo. Carlin
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/