[clue-tech] Noisy computers

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat Mar 5 14:21:59 MST 2005

On 5 Mar 2005, at 9:43 AM, Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> /I ha/ve an older computer (P2) that is pretty loud when it's on.
> Does anyone know of anything I can do to make it quieter?  I guess
> it's the fan on the CPU that's making all the noise, but it's driving
> me crazy.

First off, if they are ball-bearing fans (most likely), replace the
fans.  Ball-bearing fans get noisy when they are dying.

If you have the option, upgrade case fans and CPU fan to a larger size.
  I don't know what options are like for fan mountings on old CPUs, but
I think there are manifolds to adapt a larger fan to a smaller mounting
for pretty cheap.  A large fan can move the same air at a lower fan
speed, and the higher the speed the more turbulence, thus the louder
the fan (small fans also tend to make high frequency noise, which is
much more annoying.

You can also get special, quiet fans.  Some Vantec model stealth fans
were in stock at CompUSA when I was there last.  Nice fans that are
made to be quite don't have ball-bearings -- I don't remember what it
is that they have, but they don't make as much noise, they just work
until they quit.

You could also make sure that vibration is dampened.  Or get some of
that sound insulation.  Or get a doo-hickey to dial down the speed of
fans.  A P2 doesn't really need all that much cooling, comparatively, I
would suspect.

You could go all out and get a heat-pipe or water-cooling system :-)

(Also, check if it has any video or chipset fans -- these are often
tiny and can make really annoying noises).

Tim
Timothy Klein: tecce at silverklein.net
Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
AIM: TangoCKilo; ICQ:289210734