[clue-tech] BNC port

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed Mar 9 23:59:25 MST 2005

Heh.  Times change quickly in technology.

> Someone gave me a computer that has an odd card in  it with a BNC port
> for a coaxial cable.  What exactly is this ?  Can I connect it to cable
> internet without a cable modem?

That is a 10 Base 2 connector.  It's an ethernet card, 802.3 frames, but
which transmits on a RG59 coaxial RF cable.  The cable has to be terminated
at each end with a 50 ohm terminating resistor for the electrical proper-
ties to be correct.  The computers are connected to the network cable in
series.

The "10Base2" moniker indicates that the cable can be up to 200 meters
in length without being out of spec, I think.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/