[clue-tech] question on commands

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Fri Mar 11 13:26:41 MST 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 06:31:37PM -0700, David Anselmi wrote:
> Keith Hellman wrote:
> [...]
> >  $ vi $(find . -name application.properites)
> >  or
> >  $ vi `find . -name application.properties`
> >
> >Note the punctuation character is a backtick in the second example.
> >Both of these are identical, AFAIK, syntax telling the shell to *first*
> >run the find command, replace all runs of whitespace (including newline)
> >with 1 space, and then insert the output into the second command
> >argument list.
>
> They aren't exactly identical (though they are in this case).  Backslash
> is interpretted differently with backticks (e.g., as an escape for
> nesting other backtick commands).  See Command Substitution in bash(1).

Cool.  Thanks for the detail.
--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard

"Windows is about choice - you can mix and match software and music player
stuff. We believe you should have the same choice when it comes to music
services."

-- David Fester, General Manager of Microsoft's Windows Digital Media Division
   http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/04/01/13/0158224.shtml?tid=109&tid=187