[clue-tech] /proc times.

Chris Schock black at clapthreetimes.com
Sun Mar 13 21:02:00 MST 2005

> I ran across a post that suggested that the timestamp on /proc would
> tell you the last boot time of the machine.  Makes sense to me, and
> ditto for /proc/1.
>
> But I look at /proc and /proc/1 and they say 10:53.  /proc/2 (and many
> others after that) say 17:54  which is what uptime says.  Anyone know
> why the difference?
>
> Perhaps our TZ (-7) has something to do with it, though 10:53 isn't UTC
> so it's 7 hours the wrong way.

10:53 isn't UTC, but 17:54 is. My guess is that some things use localtime,
and others always use UTC for a time stamp.

It's possible that:

1. Something in /proc got added a few seconds after other entries, and is
kept in UTC.

2. Something in /proc got added right away in UTC, then ntpdate or ntpd
kicked in later in the boot process and adjusted the clock back a few
seconds while other things in /proc were added.