[clue-tech] Add'l Info for Recovering from grub-install error

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat Mar 26 13:09:34 MST 2005

David Anselmi wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:

>> I don't know what rootnoverify does; remove it: I just use
>
> There's some helpful advice.  "I don't know what CentOS does, remove it.
>  I just use Debian."
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/rootnoverify.html
>
> FWIW it seems irrelevant in this case.

I'm not so sure about that. The documentation Dave references is rather
abstract, but I believe what it means in concrete terms is that you
should generally use 'rootnoverify' for the partitions of "foreign"
OSes, such as Windows. Such a partition may be unreadable by GRUB, and
is presumed to have its own boot loader, so GRUB should pass control to
that other boot loader at the earliest possible opportunity.

What could go wrong if you use 'root' instead? That's a good question,
and I have no idea of the answer. But, as you can tell from the
documentation, that command causes GRUB to *try* to mount the specified
partition. Even if it doesn't usually cause problems in practice, that
doesn't seem like a very good idea for Windows.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA