[clue-tech] Try again ...Add'l Info for Recovering from grub-install error

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat Mar 26 23:04:28 MST 2005

Chris Tubutis wrote:

> My DOS stuff looks like:
>
> title DOS
>         map (hd0) (hd1)
>         map (hd1) (hd0)
>         rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>         makeactive
>         chainloader +1
>         boot
>
> I forget the specifics of grub, I found the above stuff either with
> 'info grub' or via google.

The 'map' command is for cases where your MSJunk is somewhere other than
the first partition of the the first hard drive. It fools Windows (or
fools the BIOS?) into thinking it is where it needs to be to boot. So
it's probably not relevant here. That 'makeactive,' though ... I wonder.
Since fdisk -l shows /dev/hda1 marked bootable, so it shouldn't be
necessary, but it wouldn't hurt and might conceivably help.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA