[clue-tech] Great New Adobe Acrobat Version

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Mon Mar 28 09:48:42 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 12:11 -0500, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Keith Hellman wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 09:08:05AM -0700, Matt Thompson wrote:
> >>How does it compare to xpdf?  I'm sure it supports more of those
> >>Adobe-ish features of PDF, but I'm a fan of xpdf because of its speed
> >>and light weight.  How big is it memory-wise when you use it (compared
> >>to xpdf or, heaven forbid, gpdf)?
> >>
> >>I'm sure I'll try it out on my box when I have a chance, I'm just
> >>wondering if I'll change.
> >
> >Defintely xpdf is lighter than either acroread5 or (by the looks of
> >it) 7.0.  I just loaded 7.0 on my notebook and it certainly takes longer
> >to startup. For now, my symlink still points to acroread5.
> >
> Weird I had the opposite experience.  I was hesitant to bother trying it
> out, but I decided to give it a try anyway, and for me it loaded
> lightning fast.

Well, I just downloaded it.  First off...kinda big.  I hope Dag really
does make a nosrc version!

That said, GTK >> Motif in my opinion, and it does start quite fast.  It
seems to be a pretty big memory hog.  On a simple PDF (a sample CV of
mine), it seemed to use about 5x the memory of xpdf (1.3% v 7.9% in the
%MEM column of top).

I imagine it'll be useful for those wacky map and form PDFs that cause
xpdf to bork (since it doesn't render parts in maps, etc.).  But, I
don't think I'll switch my MIME type over to it just yet.

Matt

--
The mayfly lives only one day, and sometimes it rains. - Geo. Carlin
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/