[clue-tech] Help Recovering from grub-install error

Gary Threlkeld gthrelk at comcast.net
Tue Mar 29 10:19:09 MST 2005

sector 7 >looked as described by the google article's described layout.
Upon reboot, >I did get a little further with messages
>"Booting Windows98se"
>"rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>"chainloader +1"
>but the boot then hangs.... I retried by copying count=3 rather than
>count=1 as the article suggested to me that the boot record occupied 3
>sectors..... Same result on attempted boot.  However, I can now view
some >of the files via Windows startup disk but attempts to mass copy to
a clean >drive with utilities like xcopy or PartitionMagic result in
"path errors".  >Looks like I"ve still missed/messed something.  At
least I can go after the >files I MUST HAVE.

>Thanks for all the help,
>
>Gary

---------------------------

I'M ALIVE AGAIN

Using Dave's input and correctly installing grub to /dev/hda rather than
/dev/hda1, I was able to use a windows startup disk to "see" the windows
files again.  I verified that the windows partitions where still intact
and was able to do a windows reinstall.  Since windows was already
installed in the /dev/hda1 partition, the net effect was just to refresh
the boot sectors overwriting grub once again - but that's OK.  All that
was left was to reboot to Linux and reinstall grub back to /dev/had and
grub is again controlling the dual boot.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.  YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

Gary