[clue-tech] Help Recovering from grub-install error

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Mar 29 19:27:29 MST 2005

gthrelk at comcast.net wrote:
[...]
> but the boot then hangs.... I retried by copying count=3 rather than
> count=1 as the article suggested to me that the boot record occupied
> 3 sectors..... Same result on attempted boot.

I wouldn't have done the count=3 without understanding the differences
(4 bytes) between the two copies.  But it probably doesn't hurt.

> However, I can now view some of the files via Windows startup disk
> but attempts to mass copy to a clean drive with utilities like xcopy
> or PartitionMagic result in "path errors".

I think you're much better off using Linux to try to copy things.  You
could at least use dd, and probably cp -a would have worked just fine.
And if Linux complains about disk problems, dosfsck might have fixed
them (that might have been worth a try after replacing the hda1 boot
sector).

So there are your ideas for next time ;-)