[clue-tech] PCMCIA wireless card

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Mar 31 20:57:45 MST 2005

dperkins at techangle.com wrote:
> I need a PCMCIA wireless card.  Any recommendations for a particular model?

Not exactly a recommendation, but a few months ago I stopped into
BestBuy and picked up a Linksys WPC54GS (which is an 802.11a/b/g card).
Didn't really check it out in advance, but I figured, well, Linksys is a
Linux-friendly company, so it ought to work. Heh-heh. Not quite.

Turns out there is no native Linux driver for this card, *but* it works
with the ndiswrapper module (which enables you to use certain Windows
network drivers under Linux). This was annoying on principle, of course,
but from a practical standpoint it's no big deal. ndiswrapper compiled
quickly and easily, and the card seems to work fine with it.

Just something to think about if you should find a good card at a good
price that doesn't have a Linux driver.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA