[clue-tech] User migration.

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun May 8 20:10:54 MDT 2005

Robert F. Woods wrote:
[...]
> The DG stores the encrypted password in the /etc/passwd file. The AIX
> stores it in /etc/security/passwd. The encryption seems to be different.
> I cannot manually take the DG encrypted password and place it in the
> proper place on the AIX box and login. The password test fails.

The password hashes are supposed to be difficult to reverse and with out
reversing DG to rehash I think you're out of luck.  Perhaps if DG uses
crypt(3) it wouldn't be too hard.

You might try john or another password cracking program, but check the
docs to make sure it can handle your hash algorithm.