[clue-tech] User migration.

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 8 23:29:24 MDT 2005

--- David Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Robert F. Woods wrote:
> [...]
> > The DG stores the encrypted password in the
> /etc/passwd file. The AIX
> > stores it in /etc/security/passwd. The encryption
> seems to be different.
> > I cannot manually take the DG encrypted password
> and place it in the
> > proper place on the AIX box and login. The
> password test fails.
>
> The password hashes are supposed to be difficult to
> reverse and with out
> reversing DG to rehash I think you're out of luck.
> Perhaps if DG uses
> crypt(3) it wouldn't be too hard.
>
> You might try john or another password cracking
> program, but check the
> docs to make sure it can handle your hash algorithm.
>
> Dave

At least on my AIX5L system, /etc/security/passwd
provides the shadow passwd support. Is there shadow
password support for your DG/UX ? If so you might be
able to convert your /etc/passwd encrypted passwords
into a shadow file and then copy the shadow file's
encryped passwords into the new AIX environment.... I
just successfully tested creating a user on Solaris9
and copying the encrypted password from the Solaris9
/etc/shadow into the /etc/security/passwd entry for
the analogous user on the AIX5L ...

-Mike