[clue-tech] Downside of increasing TCP window size?

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Wed May 11 10:08:51 MDT 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 09:51:49PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> ... I know there ARE lowerish-latency satellite links out
> there, 'cause a friend of mine used to do some work at McMurdo Station
> in Antartica and well, it's hard to tell he's not on a terrestrial link
> -- we did some VoIP stuff between here and there and got some special
> allowances to do some link tests, etc... ICMP is normally blocked at the
> terrestrial side of the link at a firewall, but we had a couple of IP's
> to experiment with for a few days.
>
> But I'm sure they're using something quite expensive for that "last
> mile" (last 23,000 miles?  heh) that's probably managed by DoD, or
> similar.  I don't have any details... but maybe it's commercial.

Perhaps they were using Iridium?  After the original Motorola consortium
went bankrupt, a new corp Iridium LLC bought the satellites and ground
stations fairly cheap (as these thigs go) and has been making a profit
with them.  They sell voice and data services, and the satellites are in
low orbit, so the latency isn't nearly as long.

I don't *think* that even the DOD can do much about latency to and from
geo-sync orbit...  But, I guess you never know.

Marcus Hall
marcus at tuells.org