[clue-tech] Gateway Internal/External Web Page Issue

Timothy Klein tck at silverklein.net
Fri May 13 01:17:01 MDT 2005

On 23 Apr 2005, at 2:10 PM, Timothy Klein wrote:

> Hey,
>
> So I have a static IP address, which runs a web page full of
> mundane stuff.  It uses apache on Debian Linux, (unstable, kernel
> 2.6.7).
>
> It is behind a Zoom X4 DSL router.  The Zoom router has the IP
> address assigned to it; it forwards any requests for port 80 to my
> linux server on the local network (Keats).  In Apache, my server
> name is set to my static IP address, as I don't have a domain name
> resolved to that.
>
> Here's the trouble:  that works fine from OUTSIDE my private
> network.  From the INSIDE, the static IP is the Zoom router; it
> does not forward http requests from the inside.  Thus I get the
> Zoom configuration web page from links to my IP inside my network.

For posterity, I will respond to my own (old) post.

I found a hackish way around this.  I installed squid on my web-
server, and I also installed jesred to do URL rewriting.  I then set
up all of my local network machines to use the squid web proxy, which
redirects requests to my external IP back to the local web server.

I haven't found any obvious problems yet, aside from the performance
penalty.  When I have a job again, I'd love to get my IP resolved to
my domain name, but for now it's frivolous to do so, and this works.

Tim
--
Timothy Klein: t[ango]c[harlie]k[ilo] um silver[_]klein punkt net
Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp