[clue-tech] cdrecord

Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. jnagyjr at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Sun May 15 13:14:57 MDT 2005

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 01:06:22PM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote the following:
> Just a couple of additional notes:
>
> Matt Gushee wrote:
>
> >And before trying that, you might want to try
> >
> >  $ cdrecord dev=HELP
> >
> >to show what device specifications are supported.
>
> On my system, this shows, among other things:
>
> Transport name:         ATA
> Transport descr.:       ATA Packet specific SCSI transport
> Transp. layer ind.:     ATAPI:
> Target specifier:       bus,target,lun
> Target example:         ATAPI:1,2,0
> SCSI Bus scanning:      supported
> Open via UNIX device:   not supported
>
> Note the last line. This suggests to me that dev=/dev/hd* is in fact not
> valid, as I suspected--at least for me.

Then how come i can use it flawlessly with data cds?

> Also, if you are going to use ATAPI,
>
>   $ cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI
>
> will show the correct target.

root at joseph-a-nagy-jr:/home/jnagyjr/abcde.8309300a# cdrecord -scanbus
dev=ATAPI
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J?rg
Schilling
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.8.1
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: Warning: Linux-2.6.8 introduced incompatible interface changes.
cdrecord: Warning: SCSI transport does no longer work for suid root
programs.
cdrecord: Warning: if cdrecord fails, try to run it from a root account.
scsidev: 'ATAPI'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'ATAPI   ' 'CD-RW 52X24     ' 'K.DC' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) 'JLMS    ' 'XJ-HD166S       ' 'DS18' Removable CD-ROM
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

That's odd as that JLMS device is my DVD-ROM.

- --
Joseph A. Nagy Jr.
AIM: pres CTHULHU ICQ: 18115568
Yahoo: pagan_prince Jabber: DarkKnightRadick@(jabber.org|amessage.at)
Skype: jnagyjr01 PGP: 0x11408D1C
<http://www.joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> <http://www.jan-jr-ent.biz>
<http://games.joseph-a-nagy-ur.us>
'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS
POEE CHAPLIN for the LEGION OF DYNAMIC DISCORD, McMinnville Chapter
Hail Eris! Hail Discord!