[clue-tech] Wireless security again

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon May 16 20:37:49 MDT 2005

A friend just gave me a WRT54G unit which is working ok for the two
windows laptops in the household - both have builtin .G functionality.
I haven't completed the setup to use Linux (one of the laptops is dual
boot).

I've setup the unit and the laptops for WEP 120bit security, but I'm
not really interested in leaving one these beasts connected 24x7. My
planned use of the unit is as follows

Cable Modem

Hardwired 4-port router

      +----------> Desktop PC 1 (Linux CentOS4 mostly) (Firewall)

      +----------> PC 2 (WinXP) (Windows firewall, ie not much)

      +----------> WRT54G (occasional use) <----> various laptops
      |                                (none of the WRT54G hardwired
connections used)

      +-----------> (occaional use for laptops, etc.)

I'm just wondering what the real exposure is, since neither of my
regular PCs will ever be on the wireless connection. I can train my
wife and daughter never to do financial transactions on the laptops,
but how are the hardwired units exposed?

Perhaps one of you gurus would like to expound on this?

--
 Collins
       When I saw the Iraqi people voting three weeks ago, 8 million of them,